Ciclovia Belfast – activity along the route
We are getting very excited for Ciclovia Belfast, Sunday 24th September. With more activities at our two hubs at Botanic Gardens and Belfast City Hall, as well as along the route; Botanic Avenue, Shaftsbury Sq, Dublin Rd and Donegall Sq West, everyone is sure to be entertained. What’s more, after the roads open at 12:30pm we are keeping the activity going at Botanic Gardens until 3pm with lots of fun activities for everyone.
As well as an amazing traffic free cycle along the Ciclovia Belfast route we will have lots of activities animating the way. Don’t forget it’s your route to cycle whichever way you please. However, there will be an official cycle of the route from Botanic Gardens, meeting at McClay Library entrance, with the Lord Mayor of Belfast at 10am – why don’t you join us?
What have we planned along the route? Read on to find out:
- Choir For Life, a community choir, developed in partnership by Cancer Focus led by choir master Keith Acheson will perform corner of Botanic Avenue/ Lower Crescent.
- Traditional Irish buskers will entertain you along Botanic Avenue.
- Premiere Circus School unicyclists and entertainers will join you on the cycle route.
- Ulster Youth Orchestra will perform outside Ulster Hall on Bedford Street.
- SUSTRANS will be located on the Dublin Rd and will help you bling your bike! Don’t forget to share your bike bling with us on Instagram/ Facebook and twitter.
- Bike Repairs with McConveys at City Hall, Belfast City Bikes on Botanic Avenue and Mech Monkey in Botanic Gardens. They will offer free bike checks and advice re any work that is required to make your bike safe and roadworthy.
- Phoenix CC will be providing the Sprocket Rocket Bike Skills sessions in Donegall Square West.
- VC Glendale will be riding the route to offer support and encouragement to participants.
- Ulster Operatic Company will be located on Dublin Road and will perform songs from their forthcoming production of Monty Python’s Spamalot at The Grand Opera House, Belfast 10 – 14 October.
- Thunder Action Sport, will be located on Linenhall St West beside the BBC, and will provide BMX stunts, music and offer you the chance to try a BMX and to feel confident on a bike for free. They will be providing cycling workshops and advice.
- Belfast BMX Club will be popping up along the route to offer support and advice and to show off their skills.
- FORS, the Fleet Operator Recognition Scheme and Deighan Transport, will be located at Donegall Square West were cyclists will have the opportunity to exchange places with a lorry driver so they can see for themselves the risks that face both cyclists and commercial vehicle drivers.
- Local residents and staff from LORAG will be taking part to promote their local cycling activities.
- Also look out for the team from #weare2023 – hear more about Belfast City Council and Derry City and Strabane District Council’s bid to become European Capital of Culture 2023 and pledge your support.
- Beat The Street Make sure you grab your team some bonus points from the Golden Beat Box located along the route of Ciclovia Belfast. The Beat the Street team will be outside Tesco Express, Dublin Road.
- To help us make Ciclovia Belfast bigger and better for the future we will be working with TRACIS and our partner Public Health Agency, who will survey and film participants along the route, to get valuable feedback to help us grow and develop Ciclovia Belfast.
Make sure you follow us on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook @CicloviaBelfast #CicloviaBelfast. We need your help to spread the word and help us make this the biggest and best Ciclovia Belfast yet.
So get on your bike, get your friends on their bikes and cycle traffic-free in the heart of Belfast on Sunday 24th September 0930 – 12:30pm. We look forward to seeing you there.